Monday, September 21, 2020

The Back Door - 4


Over the weekend I put on the finals two coats of varnish.

The final two coats used Epifanes' Wood Finish Matte sanding with 320 before the first coat and in between coats. The resulting satin finish looks great in my opinion.


After the final coat of varnish was dry I reinstalled the hardware, including the new deadbolt.

And then finished installing the weatherstripping on the hinge side and top of the door frame.

As usual, the screws for the doorknob escutcheons are a mishmash. Of the four, only one is correct; the other three don't match (and even then they are not self consistent...). I've already gone through my stash of saved hardware and don't have ones that match the correct one. So another trip to the store to get the correct size and length...

And the local neighborhood hardware store for the win!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good!

    What kind of life expectancy do you expect out of the clearcoat? The last door I finished with Helmsman only lasted a couple years. Granted, it was southern exposure, full sun, with negligible overhang, so probably about the most demanding conditions possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This door faces west and has the second floor porch overhanging it, so only gets direct sun very late in the day. Some in the boat world recommend annual maintenance, but my environment isn't nearly as harsh as what a boat sees. I'm hoping to refresh the topcoat every 3-5 years rather than needing a full strip.

    ReplyDelete