Saturday, August 20, 2016

Kitchen - Week 11

Early in the week the guys installed the rest of the floor.

Then sanded.

And stained.

And two coats of finish.

Real soon now, the space will start to look very different...



Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Other Kitchen

Because I'm not doing much of the work on our kitchen remodel, I have copious amounts of free time...

A week or so ago I responded to the call that my mother-in-law's disposal wasn't working.  I determined that it truly was broken beyond repair and needed to be replaced. We ordered the replacement online and waited for it to arrive. It finally came a few days ago. I replaced it tonight.

Since my workshop is a mess because it's right under the new kitchen, I have to adapt...

Don't you love my fancy lulu lemon toolbox?  ;-)

Kitchen - Week 10

Two-thirds of the floor got installed this week.

We're using 2.25-inch solid white oak that matches the "public" areas of the rest of the house.  It's a mixture of rift-sawn and quarter-sawn boards, which also match the original flooring elsewhere in the house. Rift- and quarter-sawn are much more stable, especially when used over in-floor heat.

And Friday some of the cabinets were delivered so there are giant boxes everywhere.


Tuesday, August 9, 2016

You Got Me Under Pressure

Over the past few days (evenings, actually) I've been trying to pressure test the tubing and manifold.

The first few leaks were easy to find because you could hear them. They were the joints between the elbows and the shut-off valves.

What turned out to be the other leak was tougher because it wasn't audible.

So this became my new best friend...

Use a little craft paint brush to spread bubble fluid on the joints and it's easy to find the leak!

Turns out it was the threaded joint for the pressure test gauge...

It's been holding pressure for a couple of hours, so we should be good now.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Kitchen - Week 9

This week the in-floor heat system got installed.

Bill and his guys patched the bad spots in the sub-floor before installing the heat system panels and blanks. First the panels were dry-fit before gluing them down and screwing them into place.

Then Thursday night Bill and I installed the tubing. The grooves in the panels are a snug fit, so we had to use a rubber mallet to get the tubing into the grooves.  There are two loops: one on the far side of the room and left if the island,and the other nearest the camera and right of the island.

The blanks are where the cabinets will be eventually.

And a picture of my fancy manifold for Daisy.

It has balance valves for the two loops, though they are close enough to the same length that we probably won't need them. It also has flow meters for each loop, shut-off valves, and thermometers for the supply & return, and an air bleed valve at the upper right. I hooked it all up Friday and will pressure test it later.

This will be hidden behind some cabinets eventually.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Kitchen - Week 8

The final coat of mud went on last weekend.

Early in the week everything got sanded.

Late in the week the painter was here to prime and put on a coat of ceiling white.

There's also a stack of hardwood floor boards in the hallway acclimatizing to their new home.
Next week the plan is to level the floor and start installing the in-floor hydronic heating system.

The in-floor heat will get connected to the same system panel as the master bathroom, but the method and components for installing the tubing in the kitchen floor are different.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Kitchen - Week 7

Most of the drywall was hung early in the week on the walls.

The missing parts for the in-floor hydronic manifold finally arrived and I was able to install the manifold and hook up the supply and return lines. Just in time for the last of the drywall to get hung.

Then mudding and taping started.

A couple of coats are on already.  Might need another, but we'll have to see after it dries.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

The New Neighbors

We've had some new neighbors move in this summer.  It's taken a while for me to get a good picture of them.  I finally got one this morning with a long lens.

They weren't entirely happy with me mowing the lawn underneath them.  They kept calling to another member of the family in a tree in the neighbor's yard.

I've also noticed that more of our perennials are unmolested this year and there may be a correlation...

Friday, July 15, 2016

Kitchen - Week 6

The exterior walls were insulated this week. This room has always been the most impacted by the weather - cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  Now that there's insulation, it should be much better.

The second entry into the kitchen was also created this week. With modern entertaining styles this will help traffic flow a lot, without destroying the integrity of the design.

Here's the view from the inside where you can see the new header and jack studs.

And drywall was installed on the ceiling!

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Kitchen - Week 5

Apologies for skipping a week.

Since the last update, more mechanical work has been done; mostly electrical.

There are ultimately going to be six switches here to control various lights.  They will be 3-way switches so that everything can be controlled from either entrance.

Six switches probably sounds like a lot, but there are in-cabinet lights, under-cabinet lights (note the whip above and slightly to the left of the switch boxes), pendants over the island, recessed cans over the island, recessed cans at the edges of the room, and recessed cans on the way to the dining room.

There was never enough light in the old kitchen and we're making sure that doesn't happen again.

They'll all be dimmable so I don't have to wear sunglasses.