Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Crystal Door Knob Parts


There are pieces of hardware missing (and hiding) everywhere.

When I ordered the mail slot, I also ordered a handful of new door knob spindles (top). Some old ones were in bad shape (bottom) - the threads were mangled, the corners were rounded-off, etc. As a result you never knew if the latch would open or the knob would fall off in your hand.

I suspect this pair of knobs were purposely missing their rosettes. The threads on the end of this spindle were so bad you couldn't thread the knobs on unless the rosettes on both sides were removed.

I finally got around to installing the new spindles today. And now that I know how well they work, I need to inventory every door and decide how many more we need.

Several of the doors are missing set-screws for the spindle, rosettes for the knobs (center of the picture), thumb-turn latches, and keyhole covers. While I was cleaning the basement recently, I found some of the missing hardware - a handful of rosettes and keyhole covers. Not all of the missing ones, unfortunately.

And, of course, the screws are nowhere to be found. That's OK though, many of the installed rosettes and keyhole covers are missing screws.

I'll just do my part to jump start the economy by buying a box of 100 at Seven Corners - I'll probably need at least that many...

And I still have some antiquing solution left.

No comments:

Post a Comment