Monday, January 20, 2014

Two Steps Forward; One Step Back

This should have been a post showing a bit more progress, but...

Note the lack of drywall on parts of the ceiling and wall in the hallway.  Their used to be drywall installed there, but it had come down.

After the drywall was hung in the hallway, I installed some temporary lights (see bare-bulb fixture hanging from the ceiling where there is drywall...).

And discovered that I messed up the wiring for the hallway fixtures controlled by the 3-way switches.

Arrrrgh.

That meant I needed to re-wire that leg of the circuit and therefore the drywall had to come down in a couple places.  Better that I discovered it now rather than after it was all mudded, taped, and painted...

The reference book I've been using describes how to wire single fixtures controlled by 3-way switches.  You can follow the same instructions when wiring multiple fixtures, EXCEPT when the fixtures are wired between the switches.  I found a decent on-line reference for how to do it - note the difference between options 3 and 7.  As an aside, I ended up re-wiring it like option 5...

No comments:

Post a Comment