Monday, September 8, 2014

Look Ma; No Doors

The carpet installer wanted all the doors removed to make his life easier.  I was OK with that because I needed to prep them and wanted to get them outside anyway.

I've been trying to figure out how I can paint all the doors in one step.  Using saw horses is a pain - waiting for a side to cure completely before you flip it really slows down the process.

I have six doors to paint and have been thinking about how best to do it.  I don't recall where I first saw the idea, but I saw some guy using a rotisserie. He fabricated a stand for each end and installed a lag screw in the top and bottom of each door.  The lag screw rest on the stand or on a set of saw horses.  The you can spin the door around to paint both sides and edges in one pass.  Sort of like this.

I have six doors to paint and I like to do them all at once so I needed to modify that idea a little.

So I came up with this.  Insert a screw eye in the top of each door and hang each from a hook in the garage.  Then I have easy access to the entire door and each is hanging in its normal orientation.

I have only one left to prep (lying flat on saw horses at the left edge of the picture) and then I can get started painting.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about that approach, but the paint smooths out better if you can lay the door flat. I screwed 2 long screws into each end of the door and then rested the screws on the horses. Still need to flip the door, but you don't have to wait for the paint to cure.

    ReplyDelete