Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Laundry Room - Part 3

All the chaos about the laundry room was driven by a deadline.

We hosted a party here today (Saturday) and the mountains of laundry needed to get dealt with beforehand.

After all the painting during the week, I stalled the cabinets yesterday.

Fortunately the floor is pretty close to level, so the installation went pretty easily.

Now I can call to get the counters measured. I'm not sure how long it will take to fabricate them, but we've done without them for 8 years. Another couple of weeks won't really matter in grand scheme of things.

We've already purchased the sink and faucet that will function as the laundry tub.

And the artwork will get hung at some point in the future.

And there's a story behind the cabinets, too...

We'd ordered them at the Big Orange Box just after Thanksgiving and were told they'd take 4-6 weeks. We promptly forgot about them knowing that they'd call us when they came in.

(Segue to what appears to be an unrelated story for now...)

I wanted a new workbench and my mother-in-law funded my purchase as a Christmas gift. I found the one I wanted at the Big Orange Box. I checked their website and they had several in stock at a local store just after the new year. The store associate couldn't find them where the system said they should be. After following him around the store for a bit I asked about the "Store Pickup" option on their website. He said that in that case they'd locate it and call me when it was ready for pickup at the service counter.

So I used my phone to place the order and told him I'd be back... ;-)

Later in the day I received the text that my order was ready for pickup.

Knowing that it weighed 150 pounds, I took SWMBO with me to help load it in the car.

We drove to the store and talked to the lady at the service counter. As she was pulling up my info she mentioned that she was just getting ready to call me to say the order was ready. I was impressed.

She said she needed to have it brought up from the loading dock and that if we needed anything else we could go get it and she could process everything at once.

So we went and ordered the blinds for the kitchen and grabbed some other stuff we needed. When we came back she rang us up and gave me the pick-up receipt. When we walked up I hadn't seen anything that looked like the box I was expecting for the workbench (6ft x 3ft x 6-8 inches - some assembly required), so I asked where our order was.  She replied, "On the flatbed cart behind you."

I turned around to see a cart with 5 or 6 big boxes on it, not what I expected. Puzzled, I started to ask why the workbench was in so many boxes, then paused while I looked more closely at the pick-up receipt...

It slowly dawned on me that these were the laundry room cabinets we ordered a month before.

So we pushed the cart out to the parking lot and...

None of the boxes would fit in our SUV.

So I trudged back into the store. And asked the lady at the service desk about the other order I was there to pick up. After looking it up on the computer she said, "No problem. I'll have them bring it out from the back"

I said, "Thanks, and have them bring it over to rentals, please. I need a truck..."

$20 and 20 minutes later - me and my girl are high-stylin' it in a Load-N-Go F-250 with a big orange logo on the side...

No comments:

Post a Comment