Saturday, September 3, 2011

My lucky day!


The french doors to the study and music room each are missing a crystal door knob (at bottom). Probably they were broken long ago and all that's left is the brass part of the knob.

Because they are for the french doors, the knobs are smaller than a regular knob (top left). That also makes them really hard to find. I've been searching high and low for 3 years for reproductions or originals to no avail...

On a whim we went to Art and Architecture the other day. It has a ton of cool stuff that's been salvaged from all over the place. The clerk thought they only had small round knobs and said they get a few octagonal ones every few years. As I was rummaging around looking for other stuff, I stumbled across across a bin that had a few crystal knobs in it.

And there were two that appeared to be exactly what I was looking for (top right)!

The brass collar at the base is slightly larger than the existing knobs, but I can enlarge the hole in the rosettes to make them fit. And they take a fine-threaded shaft where the existing ones use coarse thread, but one of the knobs came with the proper shaft. So I can pair the two new ones and pair the existing ones together.

So I have the parts and a plan to b executed later...

No comments:

Post a Comment