Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Electrical Inspection

The attic electrical passed the rough-in inspection last week.  The inspector arrived a bit early, so I wasn't home when he arrived.  SWMBO showed him around.

Several times he asked her, "Are you sure you didn't have a professional do this work?"  When I arrived he asked me again.  For the record, I did every last piece of it.  He then said, "It's the neatest job I've seen."

(Hmmm.  I wonder if that's my "High C" coming out?)

I guess I have a second career lined up should my day job not work out.  ;-)

He didn't flag any issues, so I'm good to go.

There was one thing he offered for guidance which is a good thing to share.  Note the two outlets in the photo.  In particular the way the wire is routed between the staple and the box.  The one on the right has the wire routed so that is away from the surface of the stud.  The one on the left the wire is up against the stud.

Either way is fine, but the one on the right is better.
Why? you might ask.

Well, check out the next photo.

See where the wire enters the box?  Note that it's very near the back face of the stud.  It's really only an issue on interior walls or where you're finishing the wall on the back side of the outlet.

When the drywall is installed there's a much greater risk of the screw missing the stud and hitting the wire if the wire is right up against the stud.  That's a bad thing because you won't know it until you're installing the outlet.  And you'll have to rip open the wall to figure out why the outlet doesn't work.  Or, you'll have a short that causes your house to burn down.

That would be a bad day.

I've already adjusted most of the outlets where I can.  The others will be protected by nail plates; small flat pieces of metal that attach to the stud to protect wiring or plumbing from nails or screws.  You can see one protecting the water line on the back side of the left stud in the first picture.

And another piece of guidance.  I used the larger volume boxes.  The only cost a few cents more and provide way more room for the wire, etc.  Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish...

No comments:

Post a Comment