Friday, September 6, 2013

Old School Shelf Supports

I was pressed for time before, so I've been circling back to get things done properly.

Prior to the Cass Gilbert tour, I declared the shelves in this cabinet "out of scope" to SWMBO.

On all the woodwork I've been using oil based paint.  Because of oil paint's long dry time, you end up with a much smoother and nicer finish; the brush strokes have time to level.  That also means it takes a lot longer when you're painting both sides - you can't just flip the thing over and paint the other side right away.

The shelves were no different and it took me a week to get them painted.  Tonight they got installed.

One cool thing are the old-school adjustable shelf brackets.  The supports are lengths of wood cut to fit into notches at the front and back of the cabinet.  The shelves in the study have a similar arrangement, though the notches are a different style there.

No comments:

Post a Comment