Friday, June 12, 2015

... and Tears

As you'll recall, in the last post I spilled a bit of blood.

Well, here are the tears to go along with it.  They might be tears of joy that I'm getting rid of the nutty stuff like this.  Or tears of sadness that I have to.

Take your pick...

So, this is the electrical box for the sconce in the back hall.  I guess I should be happy that there's a box at all.  Most of the knob-and-tub has no box; the wires just poke out of the plaster...
1 - it should be a light fixture box, not a switch box.
2 - the red wire doesn't have any sort of protection from the sharp edges of the metal box
3 - the red wire runs to the 3-way switch below the fixture
4 - the black wire is hot and is on a separate circuit
5 - the white wire is serving as the neutral for the light, but is on the same circuit as the black wire

And here's the switch box immediately below the light.
1 - the travellers are connected (as they should be) to the bottom terminals on the 3-way switch
2 - the common terminal has the red wire from the previous photo and the common wire that runs back to the other light controlled by these switches

I am SO glad I'm fixing what I can while I have the walls open...


1 comment:

  1. I feel for your challenges with knob & tube. It's a real bummer it costs so much to have a house rewired. Our house was knob & tube throughout most of it when we bought it. We had to replace it in order to blow in insulation, but the peace of mind now was well worth the expense of replacing nearly all of it. We just have a very little bit left in our basement.

    ReplyDelete