Sunday, July 5, 2009

Downspout Extensions


Shortly after moving in, we noticed a little water in the basement every time it rained. Last fall we had Boyd and the guys re-grade around the foundation so that the yard sloped away from the house - using gravity to your advantage should be one of those common-sense things, but I've found that common sense isn't that common...

The re-grading helped quite a bit, but we've still had some water seeping in the front corners of the house when it rains. Of course, the downspouts ended about 3 feet short of the corner; dumping rain water right up against the foundation.

Friday was a day off, so I finally decided to jump to that part of my "Honey Do" list and went to one of the local home centers early in the morning. I found just what I needed, almost...

I was looking for 2-five foot lengths of downspout, but they only had 10-foot lengths. No problem, I thought, I have a hacksaw and tin snips...

Well, I purchased it and the sheet metal screws to hold everything together. Then I walked out into the parking lot and realized...

I have my car. Ten feet of downspout isn't going to fit - even sticking out the window (OK, it would, but it would stick out the side rather than the front and take out everyone on the sidewalk on the way home...) So I called She Who Must Be Obeyed to bring the Family Truckster (and the grill's propane tank for exchange - I'd forgotten it, too).

The rest of the project was uneventful. And the extensions worked well with the big rain we had yesterday afternoon; no water in the basement!

No comments:

Post a Comment