Friday, January 1, 2010

Kitchen Chandelier


The last project of 2009 is also the first project of 2010...

The old light fixture above the kitchen table was a ceiling fan with a four-can spot-light kit. Another bulb had burned out recently (each one in the fixture was a different type - not a different manufacturer, a different type: spot light, normal incandescent bulb, flame tip incandescent, and compact fluorescent) and I couldn't get it out to change it. The bulb was stuck in the socket and the socket turned along with the bulb.

I didn't like the ceiling fan anyway and it apparently hadn't been cleaned since the house was built, so I decided to replace it with the chandelier we removed from the study. Because the kitchen had been remodeled in the 1980s, I naively assumed that this would be an easy task.

Of course, when I removed the fan and the ceiling medallion, I discovered why this is the only ceiling medallion in the house... It's covering up the extra hole from where the fixture used to be. I also needed an electrical hickey to adapt the old chandelier to the new fixture box. So I had to rush off to the store before they close on New Years Eve to get the hickey. Of course, there wasn't enough time to install it before we headed out to our gatherings, thus making this job span two years. ;-)

I finished the installation this morning after deciding not to fix the other hole - the medallion covers it nicely and we're going to gut the kitchen; hopefully soon!

You'll note the missing door on the cool old cabinets in the background. That's because some of the hinges were installed upside down and the hinge pins fall out on occasion... Fortunately none of the doors have fallen off and injured anyone. As a preventative measure I've removed the door where all the hinges were installed incorrectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment