Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Antiquing Brass


Lots of websites will claim you can antique brass with vinegar.

It didn't work for me no matter how long I soaked the piece.

I picked up some Brass Darkening Solution at Rockler the other day. It works like a charm. And fast. Only a few minutes soaking in the solution produced the results pictured. On the right are the new screws and washers; middle are the results after soaking for a few minutes; on the left are the 115 year-old originals. I soaked the washers in a small bowl filled with the solution. The screw threads are still bright because I held the screws by the threads and dipped in only the heads for a minute or so. I've hardly made a dent in my 2-ounce bottle and done 10 of the ~75 screw/washer sets. So it goes a long way and it beats having to wait 50 years...

Rockler also had what's almost a perfect match for the missing latch for the storm window.

Rockler is my other "new" favorite store. I bought some stuff there a million years (and two houses) ago. The salesman was impressed because I had a 4-digit customer number and they are up to 8-digits now... If you are a woodworker stop in; they have some stuff you cannot find anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment