Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Threshold

Back when this doorway led into the master bath, there was no threshold here. Or rather, there was just an inelegant transition from the back hall to the tile floor of the master bath.

When the old master bath got reworked into the dressing room, I just laid enough plywood to level up the floors between the two spaces. I finally took the opportunity to start looking for thresholds.

It’s no surprise that there’s nothing pre-made that would work, regardless of where I searched.  I should know by now and should just save myself the time.

So I went to Hiawatha Lumber and they helped me find a nice piece of 1x6 oak that has an appropriate grain pattern.

I cut it to length, cut the notches for the door jam, and hand beveled the edges so that it more-or-less matches other thresholds in the house. Then a few coats of oil-based poly, followed by installation. Now the dressing room is almost ready for carpet.

Another thing checked off my list of projects…


2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I always enjoy your updates. Our home still has the original oak thresholds on two of the three exterior doors. They look great and are very durable.

    When I tiled our bathroom, I originally bought a carerra marble threshold, but ended up breaking it and ended up making one out of the same gray Corian I used for window sill and shelves in the shower. I've been very happy with how it turned out.

    BTW, I'm pretty sure your floor there is the same old-growth pine as our second floor (most likely Longleaf).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words.

      Most of the interior thresholds are oak, though there are a couple that are fir. I'm not a wood expert but we've been told the floors in the "servant areas" are douglas fir.

      Delete