Sunday, September 13, 2020

Back Screen Door

 While I've been preping the back door, I've also been chipping away at the back screen door. It has a number of issues as well:

  • the screen has holes in it (not the normal kind; big ones that would allow decent sized animals through)
  • the latch is a mess and doesn't keep the door closed

So I ordered proper replacement screen and a new latch that looks more appropriate to the age of the house.


First the screen.

Along the right edge of this photo you can see some of the holes in the screen. At least one of which was caused by an umbrella...

Friday afternoon I carefully removed the screen molding, damaged screen, and as many staples as I could. Then I cut the new bronze screen material to size, stapled it in place, reinstalled the screen mold, and painted the exterior of the door.


The new bronze screen looks much better than the old black aluminum stuff. In most light it is less obtrusive and easier to see through.



The new latch arrived a week or so ago. It is a simpler version of what is installed on the front screen door. As the back is not a "public" entrance, the less ornate design is appropriate.


That it is brand new polished brass is less appropriate, so I used some of my leftover aging solution to make it look like it's been here a while.

The shape of the strike can be clearly seen in the upper right of the photo. This will become important later...


I also tackled the door jamb along the way. On the left edge of this photo you can see the old latch and the mess in the jamb.


I first fixed the mess in the jamb by piecing in some new wood, filling in the voids, and painting it when I repainted the door. I needed a little more structure here because the new strike is morticed in around both faces of the larger piece. (Refer to the shape of the strike in previous photo.)

Once the paint dried, I could mortice in the new strike and install the latch. Photos follow.


First the outside.


Then the inside.


And finally a video of a working latch that keeps the door closed!

The dog won't be able to treat this as a "dog flap" any more...


2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks (and functions) great. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I like this latch style. It's really well made, was easy to install, and has a nice solid sound when it closes.

    ReplyDelete