Sunday, September 13, 2020

The Back Door - 2


Throughout the past week and over the weekend in between steps on the screen door, I've been making progress on the back door.

Mostly that involved using a chemical stripper to get the old finish off and then sanding with progressively finer sandpaper to get the surface fully prepared.

Then a once-over with the vacuum and a wipe-down with a tack rag to get a dust free surface.


And today a first coat of varnish. Now we wait for it to dry enough that I can sand it down before the next coat.

The recommendation I got was 2 coats of Pettit Marine Captain's Varnish (sanding with 240 in between coats) followed by 2 coats of Epifanes' Wood Finish Matte (using 320 in between coats).

The Captain's Varnish has a bit of an amber hue to it which darkens and warms the wood tone nicely.

Based in this first coat, I think I might be doing 3 coats of the Captain's Varnish, but time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment