Saturday, June 13, 2009

Installing Tile

It's Thanksgiving weekend. It's a good time to spend a few days tiling the bathroom and kitchen. In the old bathroom, they'd used plywood as an underlayment, where in the kitchen they'd just glued the linoleum to the sub floor. The linoleum came up easily, but the tile was a pain.

I put down Hardiebacker as an underlayment - it won't blow apart if it gets wet. That's a good thing in a bathroom... I followed the manufacturer's installation instructions with thin set and screws, and finished the joints with thin set and fiberglass tape.

Day 2 - installed the tiles. The folks at the Tile Shop were very helpful. I took a tile installation class one Saturday morning and picked up all the necessary materials and tools. Most of my cuts were straight and the scoring cutter worked like a charm. There were a few compound cuts. I measured and marked everything and took up the manager's offer to bring in the tiles and he'd cut them on their wet saw. More good customer service!

Day 3 - grouted.

It's a good thing I bought knee pads, but my back is killing me. Some Thanksgiving weekend - I give thanks that I'm almost done! Well, we didn't get the carriage house done by Thanksgiving, maybe by Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment