Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rough-in Inspections

Electrical rough-in has been going well. The only exception was finding a live circuit for baseboard heat lying loose in the kitchen wall. I've relocated it so that it terminates in a junction box. It's a good thing I didn't go nuts with the sawzall when doing demolition...

Plumbing hasn't been going quite as smoothly - there's a knack to sweating joints I just haven't acquired yet. I did go to the local home center and attend a class about installing PEX. Now I'm factory trained and can legally install PEX in my own home. A couple of local plumbers were there for refresher training. They mentioned that they had been dyed-in-the-wool copper guys but have completely switched to PEX. No leaks and they can do a job in less than half the time.

We just removed the tub/shower and replaced it with a sink, the there was minimal work to do there. We had to cap the lines where the sink used to be. The only real work was running a PEX supply line for the toilet.

Passed electrical inspection with flying colors, plumbing needs a few small corrections. A little bit of rework on the lav waste/vent lines and new flange ring for the toilet. The old flange ring had corroded to nothing, but the PVC flange was still good. After some hunting, I've found a 2-piece flange ring, called "The Clam", that looks like it will do the trick. Framing inspection passed too, after some minor fireblock additions.

I bought a RotoZip to help open existing drywall for adding outlets, phone, and wired internet. It's an awesome tool. It took a while, but I found the shopvac attachment at Seven Corners Hardware (my new favorite store). It really keeps the drywall dust down.

No comments:

Post a Comment