Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Removing the Closet

In one of the bedrooms there was an old closet that jutted out into the room. It didn't look original to me and we decided to remove it. I slowly began taking it apart piece by piece. It was well constructed and didn't really want to come out. After I had it all removed I found some interesting stuff behind it.

The original wall covering was there - a fabric painted a light green behind 100 years of grime. The color is quite similar to what we used in the carriage house. In addition, the molding was still there as were some holes in the walls from what were probably gas lights. The house was built before there was electricity in this part of the city, so all the lighting was via coal gas.

Later, I also removed the extra door into the bathroom and patched the resulting hole. That will give us a much nicer space in the main bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment